D.H. Lawrence (1885–1930). Amores. 1916.
43. The Enkindled Spring
THIS spring as it comes bursts up in bonfires green,
Wild puffing of emerald trees, and flame-filled bushes,
Thorn-blossom lifting in wreaths of smoke between
Where the wood fumes up and the watery, flickering rushes.
I am amazed at this spring, this conflagration 5
Of green fires lit on the soil of the earth, this blaze
The Alien by Greg Delanty
I’m back again scrutinizing the Milky Way
of your ultrasound, scanning the dark
matter, the nothingness, that now the heads say
is chockablock with quarks & squarks,
gravitons & gravitini, photons & photinos. Our sprout,
who art there inside the spacecraft
of your Ma, the time capsule of this printout,
hurling & whirling towards us, it’s all daft
on this earth. Our alien…
“My lady mother goes first, a great heiress in her own right, and the wife of the greatest subject in the kingdom.” ~ Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory
1047. It Is in Winter That We Dream of Spring
By Robert Burns Wilson
IT is in Winter that we dream of Spring;
For all the barren bleakness and the cold,
The longing fancy sees the frozen mould
Decked with sweet blossoming.
Though all the birds be silent,—though 5
The fettered stream’s soft voice be still,
And on the leafless bough the snow
Be rested, marble-like and chill,—
Yet will the fancy…
- 1 week ago
- 1 week ago
Happy 110th Birthday, Times Square!
Originally named Longacre Square, it was officially renamed Times Square on April 8, 1904 in honor of the New York Times.
Snapshots of the “Crossroads of the World” from the 1910s, 1940s, 1970s, 1980s and 2000s:
- New York City celebrating the surrender of Japan. They threw anything and kissed anybody in Times Square., 08/14/1945. National Archives Identifier: 520697
- A view of the neon lights of Broadway. The United Services Organization (USO) GEN Douglas MacArthur Memorial Center, located in Times Square at 45th Street and Broadway…01/01/1983. National Archives Identifier: 6367334
- Peace rumor, New York. Crowd at Times Square holding up Extras telling about the signing of the Armistice. The Government report that the news was not true did not stop the celebration. National Archives Identifier: 533477
- TIMES SQUARE, 08/1973. National Archives Identifier: 554298
- Sailors attached to USS IWO JIMA (LHD 7) gather together for an impromptu group shot while on liberty in Times Square during Fleet Week 2002.05/22/2002. National Archives Identifier: 6640589
- V-J Day in New York City. Crowds gather in Times Square to celebrate the surrender of Japan., 08/15/1945. National Archives Identifier: 531350
Art Display for the Month: Paul Mastrangelo’s oil on canvas.
Lecture on NJ Bald Eagles by Karen Riedes Sat. April 12 @ 11 am.
Program on Coupons by GeorgineSaves.com Mon. April 28 @ 7 pm.
Earth Day for the whole family! by City Green Mon. April 21 @ 6:30 pm.
Now that the weather is better and it’s fun to be outside, make time for the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens or the Grounds for Sculpture. Both…
You Are Fire Eaters by Marianne Moore
Not a mere blowing flame—
A clinking ash, I feel—with shame,
At malendeavor in your service.
But as Jehoshaphat said on that occasion in
Old Testament history,
“The battle is not mine,”
And strategy laid down—in fine
Surrender, may be conquest.